Senior Mobilisation & Engagement Officer – Global Green New Deal, War on Want
Deadline: 9am, 16 August, 2021
Location: Based in London office or home-based, depending on Covid-19 restrictions
Term: Fixed-term post for 10 months (possibility of extension pending funding)
Other: Applicants must have the right to work in the UK
War on Want is a dynamic, radical organisation working in active solidarity with grassroots social movements around the world while undertaking cutting-edge campaigns in the UK and beyond.
We are recruiting for a Senior Mobilisation & Engagement Officer who can start as soon as possible to take forward our cross-cutting campaign for an ambitious Global Green New Deal that puts climate justice at the centre of our work.
In recent years, War on Want has been calling for a transformative agenda that addresses the multiple global crises of climate, inequality and poverty through the framework of a radical Global Green New Deal. There is a crucial opportunity, as the UK hosts the 26th UN Climate Change Conference and discussions take place in other global forums, to build momentum and support for our campaign for the urgent and radical transformation needed.
We are looking for a dynamic and collaborative person who can work effectively across teams to coordinate opportunities for campaigning, engagement and mobilisation relevant to our Global Green New Deal work; devise activism opportunities for War on Want supporters and members; develop communications content; and deliver public-facing campaign actions in the lead up to COP26 in November 2021 and beyond.
Key tasks and responsibilities
Campaign planning, coordination, and implementation
- Lead on the development and delivery of a GGND workplan of activities, outputs and calls to action to engage multiple audiences.
- Produce a range of campaign resources and activities including webinars, explainer videos, briefings, blogs, articles, press releases, supporter emails and social media outputs connected to the GGND.
- Coordinate the input of different WoW staff / teams to provide policy and communications content, along with external thematic experts, for the drafting and production of GGND materials, messages and communications tools.
Delivery of supporter engagement and mobilisation outputs:
- Coordinate the online presence for the GGND and handle all day to day delivery of digital outputs for this area of work, including any new web assets or website, in alignment with the broader organisational communications approach and goals
- Work with colleagues across the organisation to source, create and edit engaging, high-quality digital content for use across our online communications channels, to engage with War on Want’s key audiences across related campaign topics.
- Day-to-day planning, set up and delivery of supporter emails, landing pages and web assets using our Drupal website and Engaging Networks platform
- Proactively monitor and analyse digital communications and engagement activity to assess performance and inform future approaches, including working with colleagues to integrate supporter journeys and devise strategies for engaging new and existing audiences.
- Lead on the delivery of activism online and offline opportunities at key moments in the lead up to COP26.
- To act as a War on Want lead and contact point for the organisation’s work on GGND, supporting the Executive Director, and working closely with key WoW staff.
- Work closely with the COP Coalition and other key external stakeholder groups to develop complimentary opportunities for WoW campaigning and activism in the lead up to CoP 26 and beyond.
- Coordinate policy developments, outcomes, next steps from GGND related online events, and other relevant WoW areas of work.
- Organise in-person events (Covid-19 restrictions permitting) or online events to raise awareness of our campaign and mobilise support.
Budget management and reporting
- Oversee day-to-day budgets relating to GGND.
- Record GGND related activities, outputs and impact, and contribute to donor reporting for GGND related grants, including reconciliation for financial reports
- Experience in a similar supporter campaigning, communications and/or mobilisation role, including experience of developing engagement plans, and tactical approaches to deliver strong campaign messaging and activities.
- Strong political understanding of the root causes of poverty and climate injustice; and knowledge of current discussions around a just transition and green new deals.
- Experience of how campaign actions can lead to social and political change, how to motivate and mobilise activists to take action both online and offline.
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience of working with Engaging Networks, or a similar supporter email/campaigning platform to edit and upload content, supporter emails, petitions and/or landing pages.
- Experience of editing an organisational website.
- Experience and knowledge of using social media channels in a professional capacity.
- Strong project management skills with demonstrable experience of leading and coordinating work across different teams and disciplines, to deliver to a shared workplan.
- Understanding of effective visual content and design for web, video and social media.
- Experience of using analytics tools to monitor and evaluate digital communications.
- Experience of delivering speaking engagements and presentations to external audiences.
- Budget management, and grant management and reporting.
- Experience of managing paid social or other paid media campaigns.
- Experience of editing photos and videos using Adobe Suite or other.
- Knowledge of different approaches to web design and development.
Application deadline: 9am on Monday 16 August 2021
War on Want welcomes applications from all members of the community. We strive to be an equal opportunities employer.
Please note that we can only accept applications from individuals with the right to work in the UK. We are unable to sponsor working visa applications.