Communications Officer, Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV)
Deadline: Saturday, 9 October
Working Pattern: Full time
Start Date: 1 January, 2022
Other: Remote working available
Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV) is a leading product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. Our mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and delivering new, effective and affordable antimalarial drugs.
Over the past 20 years, MMV has worked with an extensive network of donors, private and public sector partners, experts and clinical centres in endemic countries to develop an outstanding portfolio of antimalarial projects. Our portfolio is financed through funding support coming from government agencies, private and corporate foundations, international organizations, corporations and private individuals.
We are currently seeking a Communications Officer who will work to raise the credibility and visibility of MMV using a range of online and offline channels. As part of a small and dynamic team, the successful candidate will help implement the organisation’s communications strategy though various internal and external activities, primarily related to social media, as well as print and web content. The role also includes the responsibility for the logistical and administrative activities of MMV’s communications department.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for:
Content and logistics
- Develop content for web and print, including news stories, opinion articles, short videos/animations, publications, conference flyers and adverts, etc.
- Manage the document review process to gather input from internal and external stakeholders on public-facing materials
- Carry out activities relating to MMV’s online communications such as producing monthly newsletters and responding to web enquiries
- Assist with editorial tasks, such as proofreading
- Act as the focal point between external communication providers and the MMV legal, finance and business development teams to ensure a streamlined administrative process
- Manage communication-related pages and databases of MMV’s intranet
- Keep generic documents and presentations up-to-date
- Coordinate translation of content and creation of infographics
- Conduct desk research on specific subjects or in response to journalist enquiries, as required
- Create and update internal presentations to ensure MMV staff are well informed
- Organize regular internal and external team meetings, taking notes as needed
- Manage and keep press list updated
- Contribute to ad-hoc communications projects as needed
- Social listening: monitor news feeds and conduct searches for interesting content opportunities
- Draft, edit and schedule content for MMV’s social media platforms, including that of the CEO
- Identify key influencers to improve outreach
- Follow and monitor partners, donors, malaria-focused journalists/bloggers and organizations as well as relevant hashtags
- Prepare engagement analytics reports of MMV’s social media platforms to guide future strategies
- Keep up-to-date on new social media tools and identify new opportunities to evolve the organisation’s social media strategy
The ideal profile we are looking for :
Education and experience
- University degree in global health, science, communications, digital marketing or related field
- At least 4 years of work experience with digital, print and video communications
- Experience and keen interest in global health/development issues
Technical skills required
- Strong English writing and editing skills; able to produce clear, concise and engaging messages. French language skills an asset
- Good online research skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Ability to compile, consolidate and organise information
- Comprehensive understanding of building social media communities, particularly on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn
- Experience with social media management tools
- Skilled at creating short animations and videos and preparing and editing graphics and images; good knowledge of Photoshop
Behavioural skills required
- Excellent people skills with the ability to work in a small team and build relationships with the wider MMV team
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities within specified timeframes
- Collaborative, creative and flexible multi-tasker
- Proactive, highly organised and detail-oriented self-starter
- Strong reporting and analytical skills
- Passionate about social media, with a strong desire to learn about new technologies
Start date: 1 January, 2022
Interested applicants should send their CV and motivation letter by 9 October, 2021.
Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from submitting applications.
For more information or to apply for this position, please click here.