Policy & Advocacy Manager – NCD Prevention, NCD (non-communicable diseases) Alliance
Deadline: Wednesday, 10 November
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Desired Start Date: December 2021 / January 2022
Salary: €80,000 – €90,000
Sector: Advocacy Effectiveness Leadership Management Projects and programmes
The Policy & Advocacy Manager – NCD Prevention is responsible for leading NCDA’s prevention policy and advocacy activities, including those related to major modifiable risk factors (unhealthy diets, alcohol, tobacco, air pollution, physical inactivity) and social and commercial determinants of health.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates interested in working for a respected civil society organisation, engaging with international institutions and governments, to lead strategic advocacy work and coalition building on priority global health and development issues related to NCD prevention. The successful applicant will join our Policy, Advocacy and Accountability team headquartered in Geneva.
Work with the NCD Alliance team and members to support efforts to:
- Lead NCDA’s global advocacy work on policies to prevent and reduce the risk of NCDs, including on health determinants and major risk factors.
- Increase political awareness of the importance of NCD prevention, risk reduction and health promotion globally, to deliver on commitments by governments, international agencies and donors to increase action and investment in NCD prevention policies.
- Develop NCDA’s global advocacy to position NCD prevention policies as a priority in global and national health and sustainable development agendas, enhancing the impact and effectiveness of NCDA global advocacy activities, including the World Health Assembly and UN General Assembly High-Level Meetings.
- Co-ordinate, draft and deliver NCD prevention policy-related projects and activities (policy briefings, research reports, organising high-level events, public speaking, represent NCDA in key meetings, etc.) in collaboration with members and partners.
- Strengthen and cultivate partnerships and strategic relationships with key UN agencies (WHO, UNDP, UNICEF, FAO, etc.), national governments and missions in Geneva, civil society, academia and other partners.
- Track and analyse global policy processes and trends, identifying opportunities for NCDA participation, including preparation of inputs to relevant policy consultations, liaison with technical experts, updating and promoting strategic recommendations to NCDA and its members.
- Lead policy analysis, research and co-authorship on NCD prevention policy priorities to strengthen the evidence base and maximise the NCDA’s impact to deliver on policy and advocacy objectives.
- Provide strategic advocacy support to members, national and regional NCD alliances to encourage governments and international bodies to adopt evidence-based, effective NCD prevention policies (including WHO NCD Best Buys and other recommended interventions), linking global and national advocacy, including overseeing the NCDA Peer Learning Advocacy Network (PLAN) on NCD Prevention.
- Coordinate with colleagues and the NCDA network to showcase national NCD prevention advocacy successes and leadership (from civil society and governments) using strategic campaigns.
- Represent NCDA in key and relevant existing and prospective partnerships with members, supporters, academia and UN agencies including research partnerships on governance of commercial determinants of health, and WHO-led technical packages supporting NCD prevention, e.g., SAFER (alcohol).
- Promote meaningful involvement of people living with NCDs and other civil society in advocacy at the global level.
- Manage projects, including budgets, supported by one team member and one project consultant, plus cooperation with researchers and interns as appropriate, in relation to NCDA’s work on NCD prevention related initiatives.
Skills and attributes
- Minimum of 6 years demonstrable professional experience in a relevant field, including developing, implementing and managing impactful advocacy and/or NCD prevention policy implementation.
- Expertise in the area of NCD prevention and/or health promotion and relevant policies, particularly specific risk factors (alcohol, unhealthy diets, tobacco, air pollution, physical activity), social and commercial determinants of health.
- Demonstrable professional advocacy experience with high-level policy-makers, international institutions, civil society.
- Demonstrated interest in global public health. Affinity with global health and development decision-making processes relevant to WHO and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Excellent analysis, writing and oral communications skills in English, including presentation skills – additional UN languages desirable.
- Background and/or work experience in low- and middle-income countries is an asset.
- Excellent analytical, organisational and strategic planning skills, and ability to successfully manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong team player and collaborator with proven capacity to work independently and collaboratively in an international and multicultural environment with strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Staff and budget management experience.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Availability for some international travel.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority at the NCD Alliance. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone.
Our work is underpinned by values which align with well-established principles of global health and sustainable development:
- Equity, diversity and inclusion
- Excellence and results driven
How to apply
Please note that only applicants with a pre-existing right to work in Switzerland can apply. We regret that we cannot support visa applications.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter referencing how you possess the required experience and competencies (up to 2 pages) and your curriculum vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Policy & Advocacy Manager – NCD Prevention” in the subject line of your email. Please clarify in the cover letter your location and when you would be available.
Application deadline: 10 November 2021. We regret that we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About the NCD Alliance
The NCD Alliance (NCDA) is a unique civil society network, dedicated to shaping a world in which everyone can live a healthy and productive life, free from the preventable suffering, stigma, disability and death caused by non-communicable diseases (NCDs). NCDA is a registered non-governmental organisation (NGO) based in Geneva, Switzerland, bringing together 300 members in more than 80 countries, including a network of 66 national and regional NCD alliances, to form a respected, united and credible global civil society movement.
To find out more information or to apply for this position, please click here.