Communications Advisor – Women’s Integrated Sexual Health (WISH), IPPF
Term: 9 months, with possibility of extension based on availability of funds.
Women’s Integrated Sexual Health (WISH) is a flagship programme led by IPPF to scale up support to integrated sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) services in countries across Africa and Asia by 2021.
In order to strengthen its communication, the WISH programme is seeking an individual to fill the position of Communications Advisor.
1. Job purpose
The position/consultant will be responsible for Communications of the FCDO-funded Women’s Integrated Sexual Health programme. This position/consultancy will raise awareness about WISH programme goals, objectives, and benefits among internal key public and private stakeholder groups, supporting comprehensive media outreach and publicity; and supporting project partners to share information on core project components.
The selected candidate is also expected to draft a range of materials, including press releases & media advisories, briefing notes, fact sheets, talking points, stories, outlines for videos and visibility materials, as well as support conference communications and organisation etc., for inclusion in media kits and further public outreach, e.g. through UN Women’s website.
2. Duties and responsibilities
- Re-design and develop the communications strategy for the WISH programme in collaboration with relevant partners and Member Associations.
- Develop evidence and research dissemination strategy for the WISH programme
- Conduct communication needs assessments for the programme.
- Develop a set of key messages with support from the WISH Hub team and partners.
- Create and lead the communications and evidence outreach strategies to promote WISH
accomplishments among key audiences.
- Coordinate the design and production of materials to be published such as fact sheets, evidence/policy briefs, brochures, digital publications, press releases, articles, outline for videos and visibility materials, etc.; as well provide quality advice and support on effective communications, including content for presentations, events, and key initiatives.
- Identify information and dissemination opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms including posting on IPPF websites, Linked In, Twitter, etc.
- Ensure visibility and promotions is within IPPF and FCDO brand guidelines
- Create and maintain an editorial calendar.
- Curate and update assets including videos, pictures, and other assets to be used for various communication purposes.
- Support WISH Programme’s participation in conferences and other fora.
- Coordinate the design and production of materials to be published such as fact sheets, brochures, digital publications, etc.
- Manage all appropriate external project information¸ products and materials for the WISH programme and promote this resource to stakeholders
- Coordinate translations of programme information as needed.
- Ensure that communications protocols developed for WISH are understood and followed by all project partners.
- Coordinate and compile the WISH quarterly and annual reports.
- Liaising with IPPF London and Nairobi offices ensure the WISH IPPF web page is update with results and stories.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- To become familiar with IPPF’s Health and Safety Programme and guidelines for using Visual Display Units. To do everything possible to ensure a healthy and safe working environment, including following instructions and guidance.
- Ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed within the post’s remit and aligned with IPPF’s Gender Equality Policy.
- To undertake any reasonable duties as requested from time to time.
4. Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications, journalism, public relations, international relations, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in journalism, communications, or media outreach.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, Internet, Photoshop, etc.).
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of the publication process (print and digital) and research
- Outstanding photography and videotaping skills.
- Interest and experience in blogging and/or another Web 2.0 realms.
- Strong interest and experience in international health or human rights, humanitarian or development issues, particularly in Africa.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and
diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals.
- Ability to work within a team structure as well as independently, be creative, take the initiative, be attentive to detail, be able to work well under deadlines.
5. Proven ability
- Experience working in an international non-profit organisation. Previous work experience with an FCDO Programme an advantage.
- Ability to translate academic information into human centred storytelling and editing in adobe.
- Significant experience in developing and implementing communications strategies for multi-country projects or partners.
- Significant experience of communications and research dissemination strategies with consortia.
- High degree of success in delivering high-quality communications strategies, including extensive experience with web and social media.
- Demonstrated success in delivering high-quality communications, products, or tools targeting diverse audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to influence and negotiate.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills web, publications, media, speeches, presentations.
- Strong leadership skills, including effectively engaging a range of stakeholders.
- Excellent staff and team management skills – including global/virtual management.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communications project management.
- Excellent budget management skills.
- Excellent time management skills to meet tight deadlines.
- Fluent English essential.
- Excellent IT skills.
7. Personal competence
- Describe the characteristics of effective job performance, e.g., sound judgment and ability to
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Supportive of a woman’s right to choose and access safe abortion services
Interested individuals should submit an application form in the IPPFARO CV form and a 1-page cover letter to: email@example.com with the job position you are applying for as the subject of the email by 29 April 2022.
Please note that we will not consider applications that are not done in the requested format.
IPPF is an equal opportunity employer.
“Applications are particularly encouraged from women, persons living with disability, and candidates openly living with HIV.”
IPPF has been made aware of various fraudulent vacancy announcements circulated via e-mail from websites falsely stating that they are issued by or in association with IPPF. These correspondences, which may seek to obtain money from the recipients of such correspondence are fraudulent and IPPF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).