Development and Outreach Associate, Girls Not Brides
Area of work: Fundraising
Location: London, UK (hybrid with three days on site)
Contract Type: Full time
Closing date: 18:00 BST, Friday 22nd July 2022
Other: Any employment with Girls Not Brides may be subject to the satisfactory completion of a background check and a criminal records check
Introduction to Girls Not Brides
Girls Not Brides is the only global organisation uniquely focused on creating and sustaining a worldwide movement to end child marriage and ensuring that this movement leads to tangible change for the girls at risk or affected by the practice. We are a network of over 1,600 civil society organisations in over 100 countries working in partnership to end child marriage.
Our vision is a world without child marriage where girls and women enjoy equal status with boys and men and are able to achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives. Our vision challenges deeply embedded social norms that harm the lives of girls, women and their communities.
Introduction to the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Development and Outreach Associate to primarily support Girls Not Brides’ own fundraising. You will be based within the Development and Outreach team, which also leads our work on influencing funding for the movement and supports broader events, partnerships and positioning.
The successful individual will support and gain experience across different parts of the Development and Outreach Team, including but not limited to relationship building, proposal writing, reporting, events, prospecting and researching, focusing on government funding and foundations. In addition, the role will support the Head of Development and Outreach to ensure the team has strong systems and processes in place. This position would be an excellent stepping stone for candidates interested in developing their fundraising and wider skills and experience in non-profit or charitable management and leadership.
We are looking for a fundraiser, who is passionate about Girls Not Brides’ mission, with strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent organisation skills and who is a good team player and seeking to learn new skills.
London, UK (hybrid with three days on site).
Head of Development and Outreach, or another senior member of the Development and Outreach Team.
£28,000 rising on an annual incremental basis. Girls Not Brides also offers a generous 10% pension.
This is an initial two-year full-time role. The successful candidate must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Administrative support to the Development and Outreach team
- Organise/contribute to regular team check-ins.
- Take notes from key meetings and track action points related to fundraising and funder relationship management.
- Coordinate the drafting of grant proposals and/or reporting documents to funders, often undertaking drafting of documents.
- Track proposal submission and reporting deadlines and ensure they are met.
- Maintain and update database records.
- Carry out any other funder-related administrative tasks, as required.
Development and outreach support
- Work with the Development and Outreach team to identify, cultivate and monitor prospective donors and partnerships for Girls Not Brides.
- Prepare briefings on different donors and record key notes from donor conversations.
- Work with the wider team to support the development of pitches and concept notes for funding.
- Identify and support donor related events.
- Develop and maintain regional expertise in Girls Not Brides’ work and the context of child marriage in one region to support donor outreach.
- Support the Head of Development and Outreach with broader team processes and partnerships.
- Support the team with monitoring and evaluation related tasks, maintaining and developing related systems and processes.
Supporting efforts to increase funding to the field
- Conduct research and analysis, and write background briefs, on current and emerging donors for the wider child marriage field.
- Track and analyse the bilateral and multilateral donor landscape.
- Backstop working relationships with established donor contacts by tracking and maintaining records of engagement, providing briefing materials, etc.
Wider organisational responsibilities
- Commit to the mission and vision of Girls Not Brides, putting these at the forefront of all planning, work and actions.
- Uphold the core values of Girls Not Brides in all areas of work and interactions with colleagues, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Line manage roles and consultants as necessary, delegating responsibilities and tasks as appropriate.
- Comply with Girls Not Brides policies and processes, with particular note for safeguarding, diversity and inclusion, the code of conduct and data protection.
- Prepare and deliver reports for the Senior Leadership Team and Board of Trustees, as necessary.
- Ensure that internal databases and monitoring information are kept fully up-to-date.
- Commit to ongoing personal development and learning.
- Fulfil any other reasonable requests for the advancement of Girls Not Brides.
- Relevant higher academic qualification/s or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience of donor engagement and fundraising from governments and foundations preferably in a similar sector and/or any type of fundraising on girls’ rights/ gender equality.
Essential skills and knowledge
- Excellent research and drafting skills, as well as excellent written communication skills, with the ability to write effectively and synthesise complex information.
- Proficient in all areas of Microsoft and ability to learn new packages, when required.
- Ability to work unsupervised, a motivated self-starter, with strong problem solving and multitasking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Understanding of charity fundraising, and knowledge of trends in fundraising and the broader development sector.
Essential values and attributes
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Girls Not Brides including gender-transformative approaches to empower girls and women and support gender equality.
- Skilled team worker with an inclusive and collaborative approach, in line with Girls Not Brides’ values.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Experience of writing funding proposals for private foundations and/or governments.
- Experience of researching funding prospects and cultivating new partnerships with donors.
- Programmatic experience of working on child marriage or broader work on empowerment of girls and women.
- Proficiency in French and/or Spanish.
Girls Not Brides is committed to safeguarding all children, young people and adults at risk with whom our staff and representatives work and interface. Any employment with Girls Not Brides may be subject to the satisfactory completion of a background check and a criminal records check which can include but is not limited to: an overseas police record check, a Disclosure and Barring Service Check (for those based in the UK) or an International Criminal Record Check (if applicable).
How to apply
Girls Not Brides is an equal opportunities employer. We embrace diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion in a serious way. We are committed to building a staff body that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
The closing date for this role is 18:00 BST on Friday 22 July 2022.
We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information or to apply for this role, please visit the Girls Not Brides Website.