Deadline: 12 noon, 12 April, 2023
Interviews: Interviews are expected to take place on w/c 24 April
Location: London/Hybrid. This position is for a full-time role based on a 35-hour working week. Much of the work can be carried out at home, working remotely. However, there is an expectation of at least two office days a week for all staff at The Rainforest Foundation UK.
Term: Full time, 18 months (with possibility of extension subject to funding and performance)
Salary: RFUK will aim to recruit at its Coordinator level (£37,685). However, RFUK might consider regrading the role at its Senior Coordinator level (£40,377) for exceptional candidates.
This is a great opportunity for a skilled, dynamic, and committed communications professional to join our growing team working at the forefront of the fight against tropical deforestation, climate change, and social injustice.
As Communications Advisor, you will build the external profile of the organisation and our partners, lead on strategic communications and communicate our ground-breaking projects and campaigns to a range of different audiences to bring lasting change for tropical forests and their inhabitants.
The Rainforest Foundation UK
Founded in 1989, the mission of the Rainforest Foundation UK (RFUK) is to support indigenous
peoples and other communities’ of the world’s rainforests to:
- Secure and control the natural resources necessary for their long-term wellbeing and managing
these resources in ways which do not harm their environment, violate their culture or compromise
- Develop means to protect their individual and collective rights and to obtain, shape and control
basic services from the state.
Our approach differs from that of other organisations in that we are committed to both human rights and environmental protection. We firmly believe that the best way to protect the rainforest is through empowering indigenous peoples and other local communities to defend their ancestral lands. Instead of purchasing land or conserving forests purely for their biodiversity value, we promote the establishment of community rights to rainforest lands, tackling the root causes of deforestation, and paving the way for local people to benefit fairly from the use and protection of forest resources. RFUK is recognised as a leading force in the protection of tropical forests and their inhabitants, particularly in the Congo Basin region of Africa. As well as delivering high-quality on-the-ground practical projects, often in difficult conditions, the organisation is also known for its strong policy and advocacy work in promoting forest peoples’ rights.
Together with our sister organisations in the US and Norway, we have protected more than 84 million hectares of tropical rainforest, an area roughly the size of Scandinavia. Today, RFUK works with over 15 indigenous and NGO partners in the Peruvian Amazon, across the Congo Basin and in other parts of Africa.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closing with the Programmes and Fundraising teams, the Communications Advisor will be responsible for enhancing the external profile of the organisation, communicating to, and broadening our impact with, a wide range of audiences, from multilateral institutions and the global media to our supporters and peers. With a strong grasp of strategic communications, excellent written skills in both English and French and a keen eye for detail, you will have the ability to produce timely and engaging content both independently and in close coordination with other teams and our local partners.
Strategy and Planning
- Develop, implement and review RFUK’s communications strategy and business plan.
- Manage and monitor the annual communications budget.
- Support and execute programme and campaign specific communications plans, ensuring that
local communities and partners come to the fore.
- With the Fundraising team, develop, implement and monitor a digital engagement strategy,
leveraging our social media channels to generate awareness and support for our mission and
Content Production and Brand
- With relevant Programmes and other staff, create compelling reports, briefs, articles and other
content, drawing on source materials such as project reports, field data, trip reports and
- Lead on copy editing, dissemination, planning and liaising with external design agencies and
suppliers to create quality content.
- Ensure that RFUK’s websites and social media channels are fresh, engaging, accurate and
up to date. Working with others, coordinate initiatives to increase traffic, monitor use, and make
recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure that all external and internal communications are consistent with RFUK’s brand
guidelines and organisational messaging.
- With the Fundraising team, organise, manage and update RFUK’s audio-visual materials’
library and maintain a bank of appropriate case studies, interviews and quotes for supporter
newsletters, annual reviews, appeals and other uses.
- Support our local and Indigenous partners in their own communications and cross-amplify our
Press and PR
- Raise public awareness of RFUK’s programmes, campaigns, partnerships and fundraising
with appropriate media outreach, including writing content for press releases and other
materials as and when required.
- Develop and maintain a press engagement strategy: analyse trends in press and media
coverage andproactively identify and sell RFUK stories with media value, disseminating them
and following up as appropriate.
- Cultivate new and foster existing relations with key contacts in the print, digital and audiovisual media.
- Maintaining RFUK media impact log and media distribution lists.
- Maintain distribution lists, ensuring GDPR compliance.
- With the Operations Team, ensure effective internal communications.
- Develop and implement the public element of a crisis communications plan, in line with
RFUK’s risk management policy, and considering RFUK’s risk register.
- Where necessary, support other staff through the provision of training in media, asset
gathering and communications techniques.
- Recruit and manage volunteers to support media and communications as necessary.
- Carry out any other duties from time to time, as may be required by the Executive Director,
Head of Operations and Head of Programmes.
Knowledge and Experience – Essential /Desirable
- Fluency in English and French (please ensure that your level of French is specified in your application)
- At least 4 years’ experience working in the charity sector or similar environment
- Knowledge of how the media and journalists work
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to adapt styles to meet the needs of different audiences
- Knowledge of publications’ design and print production
- Ability to manage external suppliers and agencies, ensuring value for money
- Proficient IT skills to include good knowledgeof Desktop Publishing and online content management engine
- Education to degree level, or equivalent experience
- Ability to represent RFUK externally
- Social media savvy.
- Good understanding of environment/development/human rights issues
- Experience of working on advocacy/campaigns
- Spanish language skills
- Experience of working in a charity fundraising environment
- Proficiency in design software programmes and video editing, including Adobe InDesign and Illustrator
- Experience of day to day Press Office work
- Strong personal commitment to RFUK’s mission and values and to social and environmental justice in general
- Excellent interpersonal and communicationskills – written and oral
- Cultural sensitivity
- Attention to detail and Visual literacy
- Proven ability to manage workloads and follow through projects from beginning to end
- Ability to prioritise, make decisions, work autonomously and to tight deadlines
- An enthusiastic, flexible approach, with the ability to work co-operatively with different
- Personal integrity
Summary, Terms and Conditions
Hours, remuneration and place of work
- The salary is £37,685 – £40,377 gross per annum depending on skills and experience (RFUK
will aim to recruit at its Coordinator level (£37,685). However, RFUK might consider
regrading the role at its Senior Coordinator level (£40,377) for exceptional candidates).
- Workplace pension after two months in the role (4% employer contribution).
- The post is offered on a 18 month contract (with the possibility of an extension, subject to
funding and performance), and with a six-month probationary period.
- This position is for a full-time role based on a 35-hour working week. Much of the work
can be carried out at home, working remotely. However, there is an expectation of at least
two office days a week for all staff at The Rainforest Foundation UK.
- The monthly salary is paid by Bank Automated Credit transfer, on the 25th of every month.
Holidays, sick pay and other benefits are provided in accordance with statutory
requirements. 30 days of paid leave per year are offered.
- The place of work is RFUK’s London office located in Units 2-4 The Atelier, The Old Dairy
Court, 17 Crouch Hill, London N4 4AP, United Kingdom.
RFUK is an equal opportunities employer, and makes no discrimination on the grounds of
gender, race, age, physical abilities, religious or sexual persuasion.
For more information about the role, please see the job description, and, if you have any specific questions please email email@example.com.
To apply, complete the application form by 12pm (midday) on Wednesday 12 April 2023:
Communications Advisor – Rainforest Foundation UK – please note, CVs will not be considered.
Please note: interviews are expected to take place on w/c 24 April.