Communication Associate, United Nations University
Deadline: Friday, 1 April 2022, 13.00 CET
Contract Type: Temporary Agent – Administrator
Location: Vienna, Austria
Sector: Communication and Events
The European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) is organising a selection procedure to constitute a reserve list from which to fill the vacant post of Temporary Agent – Administrator (f/m/d) Information and Communications Officer – Communications specialist (function group of AD, grade 5) in the Communications and Events unit. If you are passionate about communications and interested in developing value-driven messages about fundamental rights and organising events, at FRA you will have the opportunity to make the difference in a dynamic professional environment.
The European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) provides independent, evidence-based advice to policymakers, to help ensure full respect for fundamental rights across the EU, for everyone. To this end, the Agency collects and analyses information and data on a range of fundamental rights issues, provides assistance and expertise to EU Institutions and to EU Member States’ governments, raises rights awareness, communicates its findings and strengthens cooperation and ties between fundamental rights actors.
The Communications and Events Unit
The Communications and Events unit is responsible for fostering new narratives on fundamental rights. It develops effective communication activities that combine value-driven messages on fundamental rights principles with arguments about their relevance. The unit ensures that FRA activities and outputs are effectively communicated through online and print media, and events to policymakers at the EU and Member State level, other key actors in the human rights field, as well as to the media and the public at large.
The Information and Communications Officer will work in the Communications and Events unit under the supervision of the Head of Unit. The role of the Information and Communications Officer requires a high level of collaboration and joint working within the unit and between teams across FRA.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- developing and implementing the communication priorities for the Agency, in line with the Annual Programming Document and the Agency’s strategic objectives;
- communicating effectively the results of FRA’s diverse work to a variety of audiences (including policymakers, civil society organisations, international partners, and other relevant stakeholders); ensuring that communication is tailored to specific stakeholder needs – including non fundamental rights-based organisations;
- developing and implementing in-person, virtual and hybrid events, including FRA’s periodic Fundamental Rights Forum, from the planning stage, right through to supervising the running of the event and carrying out the post-event evaluation;
- planning, coordinating and implementing FRA’s activities with EU presidencies in the frame of its multi-annual work programme strategy;
- ensuring the Agency’s findings are communicated effectively through different media channels (traditional, web, social media), enhancing the Agency’s media impact;
- drafting innovative and accessible content for FRA’s different communication channels, including its website, social media and video scripts;
- developing and maintaining communication relations, including joint communication actions, with EU institutions, EU agencies, and international, regional and national stakeholders and partner organisations;
- project management – including all aspects of development, implementation and oversight – for specific activities undertaken by the unit, and team membership of other projects;
- overseeing related procurement, financial procedures and related contracts in compliance with EU regulations, as well as planning, monitoring and overseeing the implementation of FRA’s annual budget allocation to the areas of responsibility pertaining to this post.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of FRA’s goals in accordance with the Strategic Plan;
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Head of Unit.
To be admissible for this selection, candidates must fulfil all the following conditions by the deadline for submission of applications:
• Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union;
• Be entitled to his or her full rights as a citizen
• Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the laws concerning military service;
• Meet the character requirements as to suitability for the performance of the duties
• Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
Have a level of education, which corresponds to completed university studies of at least four years attested by a diploma in a field related to the advertised post.
Have a level of education, which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma in a field related to the advertised post and professional experience of at least one year.
- In addition to the above, have a minimum of 3 years full-time professional experience in the communication field, after obtaining the relevant degree and before the closing date of the present vacancy notice.
- Have a thorough knowledge of English (level C1); and
- Have a good knowledge of another language of the EU (minimum level B2).The levels indicated correspond to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.See Article 12 of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union.Prior to appointment, successful applicants will be required to produce an official document showing that they do not have any criminal record.Before being engaged, successful applicants will be required to undergo a medical examination to ensure that they fulfil the requirements of article 12(2)(d) of the Conditions of Employment of other Servants of the European Communities.
Only diplomas and certificates that have been awarded in EU Member States or that are the subject of equivalence certificates issued by authorities in the said Member States shall be taken into consideration. In the case that an equivalence certificate was issued, this must as well have been done by the deadline for application.
Professional experience is counted from the date of obtaining the diploma. In the case of having a level of completed university studies attested by a diploma of at least three years, the professional experience of 1 year to be eligible for the post cannot be included in the 3 years of full-time professional experience requested for this post. In this case a total of 3 + 1 years of full-time professional experience is required.
- Candidates should have extensive practical experience with computer applications such
as MS Office package or similar (mainly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), creative
To select the best-qualified candidates for interview and possible test phase, the Agency will
consider the following essential criteria:
- Experience in developing and implementing communication strategies and campaigns
- Understanding of different communication techniques, technologies and channels, including social media platforms and social media marketing, and how to use them to target a variety of audiences
- Ability to find relevant stories in data, complex reports and studies on human rights or related topics, and adapt these into concise and accessible prose in English in different formats for different communication channels
- Proven work experience in designing and implementing in-person, virtual and hybrid events, including flag-ship events
- Proven project management experience in the communications field
The following criteria will be considered as advantageous:
- Knowledge of EU fundamental rights relevant policies
- Certification in project management (e.g. EU PM2 certified, PRINCE 2, PMP)
- Work experience in an EU institution/body, including contract management and tendering
In addition to the essential and advantageous criteria, candidates invited to the interview and test
phase will also be assessed against the following requirements:
- Communication: communicate clearly and precisely both orally and in writing;
- Analysis and Problem-solving: ability to identify the critical facts in complex issues and develop creative and practical solutions;
- Adaptability: being able to change one’s actions, course or approach to doing things to suit a new situation, and rapidly accumulating new skills and proving adaptive behaviour in response to changing circumstances;
- Working with Others: work cooperatively with others in teams and across organisational boundaries and respect differences between people; create a sense of team spirit by encouraging shared goals and exchange of knowledge and experience;
- Learning and Development: develop and improve personal skills and knowledge of the organisation and its environment; commit to train others, share knowledge, and systematically improve working methods;
- Prioritisation and Organisation: ability to prioritise the most important tasks, work flexibly and organise own and others’ workload efficiently;
- Quality and Results: take personal responsibility and initiative for delivering work to a high standard quality within set procedures; show clear customer orientation (internal and external); build systematic and methodical processes into projects and work of self and own team;
- Resilience: remain effective under work pressure, be flexible and adapt to a changing work environment; encourage others to do the same and adjust own and team’s approach to embrace changing circumstances.
Submission of Application and Deadline
Candidates are requested to submit their application electronically through the Agency’s website. Only online applications will be accepted.
An application will be deemed admissible only if it includes:
- a CV in Europass format (Please make sure to use the latest version; other formats will not be considered);
- a motivation letter (preferably no more than one page);
- a complete electronic application.
Information concerning the status of the selection procedure can be found at the following address:
In case you experience technical problems during your application please contact, within the above
mentioned deadline, the e-mail address below providing an explanation of the issue:
Applications must be sent no later than 01/04/2022 13:00 (Central European Time (CET)).
Please note that due to the large number of applications we receive, the system may face problems
in processing such amounts of data when reaching the deadline for submission of applications. We
therefore advise to apply well ahead of the deadline.
FRA urges anyone meeting the eligibility criteria and interested in the position to apply. FRA is an equal opportunities employer and ensures that its recruitment procedures do not discriminate on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age, gender identity or sexual orientation.
FRA encourages candidates with disabilities to apply. If you consider yourself to have a physical, mental, intellectual or sensory disability, please tick the appropriate box on the online application form and indicate any adjustments or arrangements, relating to your disability, so FRA can ensure your full and equal participation in the interview.
A Selection Committee is nominated by the Appointing Authority of the Agency.
Eligibility of candidates will be assessed according to compliance with all formal requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications (please see point 3 Eligibility criteria).
Only the applications of eligible candidates will be evaluated in accordance with the selection criteria as specified in the publication notice (see point 4). The Agency will invite for an interview the top 8 candidates among those who have obtained at least 60%.
The selection procedure will be composed of an interview and a written part. Both parts will be held in English. It will take place in Vienna (Austria), where the Agency has its seat and where the place of employment is. In case the COVID-19 situation does not allow candidates to have their written and oral exams at the FRA premises, all short-listed candidates will be invited for online written and oral test(s). The short-listed candidates will receive further detailed information in due time.
Candidates invited to an interview will be requested to submit, by the date of the interview, a noncertified copy of their diploma(s) and evidence of their professional experience, clearly indicating the length and nature of their experience and whether full time or part time work. Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate/s will be requested to provide FRA with original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving the eligibility requirements.
Successful candidates will be included on a reserve list drawn up by the Selection Committee. This reserve list will be proposed to the Appointing Authority of FRA. The Appointing Authority will decide on the establishment of the reserve list. This reserve list will be valid from the date of its establishment (in year ‘N’) until 31 December of year ‘N+1’. Its validity may be extended. Each candidate will be informed by letter whether or not she/he has been placed on the reserve list. Candidates should note that inclusion on a reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
The reserve list may be used for future recruitment. Recruitment for vacant positions will be based on availability of posts and budget and usually follow-up interviews with the Appointing Authority of FRA may be conducted for deciding on recruiting for a vacant post. On this basis, the Appointing Authority of FRA may offer a contract of engagement.
Please note that the Selection Committee’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and that any contact with its members is strictly forbidden.
Due to the large volume of applications, the Agency regrets that only candidates selected for the interviews will be contacted. Applicants are invited to follow the recruitment process on the FRA website.