Job Title: Communications and Digital Manager
Contract Type: Part time (30 hours per week), 12 months fixed term with potential to be made permanent.
Salary: £39,000.00 – £46,000.00
Deadline: Sunday 18th June 2023
Location: Hybrid working with a minimum of 2 days per week in the office in Kidlington, Oxfordshire, OX5
About Emergency Nutrition Network
ENN’s vision is that every individual caught up in a nutritional emergency, or suffering from malnutrition anywhere in the world, gets the most effective help possible. ENN undertakes knowledge management, research and influencing to support national governments, civil society, UN, donor and academic organisations working on malnutrition. We work almost exclusively with these collaborators to strengthen policy and evidence-based nutrition programming, predominantly in low- and middle-income countries and in fragile and conflict affected states.
ENN is a well-established and highly respected UK-registered organisation established in 1996 working to reduce undernutrition globally. ENN is governed by a Board of Trustees and has its head office in Oxfordshire, UK. ENN is financially supported by bilateral donors, international non- governmental organisations and United Nations agencies.
We are proud that in our 2022 Employee Engagement Survey over 95 percent of our staff said they enjoy their work and that ENN is a flexible employer.
Purpose of the role:
To maximise ENN’s impact, functioning and profile through the use of improved communication and digital strategy, culture and practice.
Terms and Conditions
• Hours of work: Part time (30 hours per week)
• Type of contract: 12 months fixed term contract with the potential to be made permanent.
• Location: Hybrid working with a minimum of 2 days per week in the office in Kidlington, Oxfordshire, OX5.
• Holidays: 25 days increasing by one day per annum after two complete years of service to a maximum of 27 days per annum (pro rata). Plus, the UK Bank Holidays and paid office closure days between Christmas and New Year.
• Pension: Auto-Enrolment to ENN scheme with a generous Employer contribution of 5%.
• Additional Benefits include Dental cover, Life cover and Well-being contribution.
• Salary: £39,000 – £46,000 per annum (FTE) dependent on experience and suitability for the role.
Working in collaboration with colleagues across the organisation, lead ENN’s Digital:
• Lead the development and socialisation of effective communications strategy and implementation plans, both at an organisational level and covering specific technical work-streams.
• Analyse and brief ENN team and trustees on evolving Communications and Digital environment.
• Build a Communications and Digital culture through training and mentoring colleagues in the improved use of communications and digital tools and the establishment of organisational norms and ways of working.
• Curation of aligned branding, internal and external communication across all ENN’s work-streams, in line with ENN values and strategic objectives.
• Focal point for all ENN marketing, communications and digital issues
• Understand, segment and expand ENN’s current audience and networks and increase visibility, presence and engagement with ENN’s network and audience
• Develop ENN’s Communications and Digital policies and risk management.
• Work with teams, collaborators and suppliers to embed clear processes, ways of working and guidance to deliver ENN’s communications strategy against ENN policy.
Management and Delivery
• Set up and maintain a communications calendar and reporting framework to help drive a coordinated approach to communication across ENN’s portfolio
• Lead work with relevant teams and ENN’s collaborators to create and deliver digital communications, media and campaign programmes that serves the collective and its shared purpose.
• Maximise opportunities to drive brand awareness, raise the profile of ENN and engage with press and media where relevant but ensuring balance, such as where ENN is representing collective effort.
• Develop, measure and report on metrics, KPIs and other insightful analytics to inform decision making, evaluate impact and contribute to future strategy
• Manage the delivery of multiple projects to agreed specifications and deadlines
• Develop working relationships with Communication Leads in other agencies to identify opportunities to amplify, target and synergise communications related to our work portfolio and priorities.
• Propose and manage Communications and Digital investments, delivering value for money and taking responsibility for associated reporting, control and analysis
• Engaging with, and developing new, ENN “ambassadors”, influencers and friends to further our communications and impact
• Ensure internal digital procedures comply with appropriate standards and legislation and develop, monitor and maintain a digital governance model and guidelines which are fully compliant
• Risk and crisis management including out of office hours emergency contact for media issues
• The CDM acts as an advisor to ENN’s Management Team, participating in meetings when appropriate, and is a member of the strategy steering group.
Operations and Delivery
• Oversee ENN awareness, knowledge and understanding of the evolving context and best practices in communications, digital and marketing including use of appropriate media levers
• Develop and implement training programmes and pilots for colleagues on use of all communications media around standards, best practices and house styles, including use of social media
• Lead in the development and management of a new CRM system for ENN that delivers high engagement among our existing and new audiences, while being user-friendly and value for- money.
• Manage and develop ENN social media platforms for optimal visibility, engagement and impact
• Work with internal teams to consolidate use of different digital platforms and review opportunities for cross-channel use and other optimisation
• Oversee the management and development of ENN’s websites including a new CMS and Forum platform
• Manage relationships with internal stakeholders such as web steering group and ENN management team and relevant external partners and suppliers
• Review and deliver performance indicators across all relevant platforms to ensure SEO and high user engagement is measured
• Work with copy editors, proof-readers, designers, developers and external agencies to create new, or update existing digital and publications content
• As a member of the FEX editorial team, provide specific and tailored input and support to ENN’s flagship publication Field Exchange (FEX) on style, brand, design and presentation of print and on-line content.
• Provide copywriting support across all communication mediums as needed
• With others, manage relevant databases and supporting activities
• Develop and apply guidance to ensure content is engaging and consistent with brand, house styles and tone
• In collaboration, provide appropriate writing and/or generate and review copy across all forms of communication
• Oversee and approve ENN’s social media content
• Develop and manage a bank of content including stories and images for use in ENN’s publications, products, monitoring and evaluation work and media usage, and manage ENN’s use of others’ brands, logos, images and media libraries
• Coordinate publication of all marketing and publicity materials to ensure optimised impact
Analytics and reporting:
• Actively use omni-channel and multichannel reporting, analysis and insight to help develop and optimise campaigns, incorporating other monitoring & evaluation outputs where relevant.
• Digital tools – Identify existing and emerging digital metric tools that track and capture the full impact of our online engagement to reveal where and to what extent our work is making a difference
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Relevant degree or equivalent qualification or experience preferably in media, journalism, science health or humanitarian communications, digital production, marketing or public relations
• Demonstrable experience of planning, creating and publishing engaging content across digital channels
• Demonstrable experience of creating and implementing successful communication and digital strategies
• Experience in website project management and implementation
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a proven ability to adapt technical and scientific information for a range of audiences.
• Excellent team-working skills and ability to work collaboratively and autonomously
• Proficient in SEO, Google Analytics, content marketing and digital marketing strategies
• Experience in web content writing and management, web design and database management
• Experience in managing external communications providers including proof-readers, copy-editors, creatives / designers, translators, podcast and video producers, print publishers and web designers
• Excellent personal and professional integrity, strong cross-cultural awareness, demonstrable commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion.
• Experience designing and delivering training in communications, marketing and digital to colleagues
• Copy-editing / proofreading experience
• Understanding of GDPR regulations relevant to communications and marketing and ability to implement
• Familiarity with the International Committee of the Red Cross Code of Conduct and its relevance and application to ENN’s work
• Understanding of intellectual property rights in relation to digital images and artworks
• Experience working in international development or related sector
• Graphic design experience in applications such as Canva or Adobe products
• Digital Production skills such as video and audio production
• Experience of setting and managing budgets
• Strong working knowledge of French
Eligibility to work
The successful applicant will be required to demonstrate they have the Right to Work in the UK before being able to accept the appointment. A Certificate of Sponsorship is not available for this position. No relocation package is offered for this role.
ENN is committed to diversity and inclusion, and to building a culture where every staff member and volunteer is recognised and valued as an individual. We actively encourage applications from a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
Please submit a Cover Letter (no more than 1 page) and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday 18th June 2023. Early applications are advised as we will conduct rolling interview and reserve the right to conclude the process before the closing date if a suitable candidate is identified. No agencies please.
To find out more, please visit the Emergency Nutrition Network (ENN) website.