Job title: Advocacy & Communication Specialist
Term: Fixed Term Appointment
Deadline: 30 Aug 2023 11:59 AM (America/New York)
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Other: Full proficiency in English and Arabic is desirable
The Advocacy & Communication Specialist will effectively lead the management of UNFPA communication, behaviour change communication and advocacy activities in the areas of population, reproductive health and gender. They will be guided by evidence and research-based processes of using communication to promote behaviour that leads to improvements in health outcomes. They will design, update, manage, coordinate, implement and monitor communication and outreach initiatives in support of the 11th Country Programme delivery; they will also ensure and guide the appropriate application of systems and procedures and develop enhancements if necessary. The Advocacy & Communications Specialist must effectively influence counterparts and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds to jointly contribute to achieving population and development results.
They will report directly to the CO Representative
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realising the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organisations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realise our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Qualifications and Experience:
Masters university degree in mass communication, public relations, journalism or communication sciences (or other related field).
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in mass and institutional communication
- Proven ability to develop approaches and materials for diverse target audiences, including messaging on culturally sensitive issues
- Demonstrated experience implementing visibility communications & advocacy strategies
- Demonstrated experience working with stakeholders to build strategic partnerships
- Excellent writing and editing skills with strong analytical and research abilities required
- Solid knowledge of web production, social media and multimedia tools
- Excellent interpersonal communication and results-based programme implementation skills required
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.
Full proficiency in English and Arabic is desirable
For more information or to apply for this role, please visit the UNFPA Website.