Location: Hemel Hempstead, Herts, UK
Term: Full time (will consider part-time, not less than 3 days a week), fixed-term one-year contract (with potential to renew or extend)
Salary: £45,000-£55,000 (depending on experience)
DAI is seeking a Principal Consultant to join DAI Europe’s busy Frontiers Team. The position will be based in Apsley, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Become part of the thriving DAI business, located in spacious, bespoke offices, 30 minutes north of Euston – with excellent rail and motorway links to London and the region.
Expected start and end date: Fixed term (12 months), ideally September 2019 – September 2020 (with potential to renew or extend)
Level of effort: Full-time, although part-time maybe considered (not less than 3 days/week)
Travel: Occasional planned short-term travel within the UK and/or overseas can be expected.
Background to position
DAI Europe’s Frontiers Team is engaged in development and delivery of a range of innovative services to clients, partners and colleagues, focusing on:
- Flexible and innovative delivery models for donor-funded technical assistance, research, learning and analysis, including delivery of the Expert Advisory Call Down Service – Lot B for UK Government (EACDS Lot B), which provides rapid response assistance on issues relating to strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Digital for Development
- Managing for Development Results, Monitoring Evaluation and Learning; and good data management
A need has arisen for a Principal Consultant in Learning and Communications for Development, with understanding of humanitarian and/or social protection issues, to support a number of linked activities across two workstreams:
- Working with all relevant leads in the Frontiers Team, contribute to development of new and/or improved approaches to analysing, learning from, and sharing the results of DAI work.
- Providing flexible learning, communications, and influencing support as part of a core DAI management team to an innovative DFID-funded programme.
- Structure and synthesise technical and operational learning from the commissioned assignments and studies and wider learning in the field, creating learning briefs and policy notes.
- Disseminate learning generated among the organisations involved in delivery of the programme and externally through engaging with existing fora/platforms, learning partners, and using tools and methods focused on the use of social protection and cash-programming approaches in crises.
Qualifications and experience
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline. An advanced degree with a major in a relevant discipline is preferred.
- Considerable relevant professional experience.
- Professional experience and understanding of social protection/cash programming and/or humanitarian/development nexus action and debates, including key relevant international donor cooperation frameworks and commitments.
- Knowledge/experience of current learning platforms and fora relating to social protection and cash programming.
- Experience/skills relevant to development of effective learning, communication, and influencing strategies.
- Demonstrable skill in writing briefs for policymakers and practitioners.
- Confidence in engaging with wider networks, and in presenting to peers and policymakers and decision-makers.
- Fluency in English is required.
- High level of interpersonal, team-working and relationship-building skills.
The salary offered for the Principal Consultant will be commensurate with relevant experience. The successful candidate will work alongside colleagues in the DAI Europe offices in Apsley, Hertfordshire.
DAI offers a generous benefits package including, after a qualifying period, company pension scheme, private health scheme, life assurance, income protection, gym membership, and cycle to work schemes.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
If this role sounds interesting and you would like to be part of DAI’s growing business, bidding for and managing donor-funded projects round the world, we look forward to hearing from you.
Please apply via this website link.