Communication Associate, United Nations University
Deadline: Wednesday, 30 March 2022
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Term: Full time – 12 month contract
Location: Bonn, Germany
Other: This post is open to applicants from all countries and UNU will aid the successful applicant in securing a work visa for Germany, as necessary
About UN University (UNU)
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. UNU’s mission is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, United Nations University (UNU) has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
About The United Nations University Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE)
UNU-ViE, established in 2007, is one of two Vice-Rectorates and the only one located outside Japan. UNU-ViE seeks to strengthen the presence of UNU in Europe and supports the worldwide institutional development of UNU by facilitating collaboration across UNU and the UN, and sharing knowledge and expertise through the development of joint activities and projects. In addition to its core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to both UNU-ViE and UNU-EHS. For more information, please visit: http://vie.unu.edu/
Under the authority of the Vice-Rector in Europe and the direct supervision of the Head of Communications Unit, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
1. Draft impactful science communication materials
- Write engaging website features, media materials and social media posts based on scientific papers and research findings.
- Work closely with academic personnel to translate scientific content into engaging content for non-scientific audiences.
- Adapt communication materials to different channels (e.g. website, social media, newsletter) while applying consistent messaging.
2. Proofread and edit communication materials
- Proofread and edit a variety of communication materials in line with the UN style guide.
- Quality-control external proofreading services through detailed review processes.
- Develop writing and editing guidelines for different communication formats and channels.
3. Project management for publications
- Develop timelines and budgets for the productions of a variety of UNU-EHS publications.
- Liaise with the academic sections to advice on the production process and act as a liaison between the academic authors and external vendors.
- Oversee and support the entire publication process from submission of raw content to publishing of final products.
4. Project communication
- Serve as dedicated communication focal point for select academic sections or programmes.
- Provide guidance to the academic teams on all communication and outreach activities, including the identification of communication opportunities
- Develop communication strategies, campaigns and communication products which contribute to the achievement of the overall project goals and communications-related milestones.
- Together with the other members of the communication team, provide visibility for the project to external audiences through dedicated multi-channel campaigns and effective involvement of partners.
5. Ensure proper Data management
- Entering and maintain current data in repositories, including publications, website metadata and media contacts.
6. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Key performance indicators
- Timely drafting, proofreading and editing of high-quality communication materials.
- Translation of academic publication into engaging communication content.
- Development and implementation of strong project management processes.
- Development of high-quality project communication strategies and activities.
- Detail-oriented management of relevant databases.
- Inclusion — take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and collaborate — build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and plan — seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver results with positive impact — hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and develop — pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and innovate — demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
Education and certification
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communication, journalism, public relations, mass media or social sciences.
- Ability to work as part of an integrated, international communication team is required.
- At least four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in journalism, strategic communication, corporate communications or public relations, some of which preferably in an international setting.
- Experience in writing strong content for a variety of channels and target audiences is required.
- Knowledge of different communication channels and in-depth understanding of communication needs of different target audiences required.
- Demonstrated experience in translating scientific concepts and findings into engaging communication formats for non-scientific audiences is required.
- Excellent writing, proofreading skills and the ability to consistently follow style guides required.
- Experience of working on the topic areas of environmental change and climate change or overall sustainable development considered is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in writing high-quality communication materials based on scientific documents considered highly desired.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to quickly grasp complex technical topics is desired
- Experience in project management, strong attention to detail and ability to handle competing priorities is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required, including excellent writing and editing skills in English.
- Fluency in Spanish or French as UN official working languages or German as language of the duty station considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be employed under a national PSA contract. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary, commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time employment on a twelve (12) months Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA holders is 65 years.
This post is open to applicants from all countries and UNU will aid the successful applicant in securing a work visa for Germany, as necessary. It is, however, a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The duty station will be Bonn, Germany.
Expected start date: As soon as possible
To find out more information or to apply for this role, please click here.