Job title: Communications Officer
Term: Full Time
Deadline: Sunday 24th September 2023
Location: London, UK
Company: Aga Khan Foundation (UK)
The Aga Khan Foundation, a leading global development organisation working to tackle the root causes of poverty, is looking for a creative Communications Officer to strengthen its communications, events, and outreach activities. The role will support the communications department to raise awareness of AKF as well as the key development issues shaping the world today.
Based in the Aga Khan Centre in London, the Communications Officer will work with the Global Lead – Communications and the Senior Communications Officer to develop communications products and organise events to engage and inform existing and new audiences about the work of the AKF and broader Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN).
The person in this role is expected to have a minimum of two to three years experience of working in a communications role and a variety of skills including content creation for social media, graphic design, events management and video editing.
• Design high quality and visually engaging social media content about the work of AKF and AKDN for multiple platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
• Design visually engaging digital graphics for use on AKF’s website
• Work with the Programmes & Partnerships team to create brochures, briefs, presentations etc. to engage international development sector audiences
• Regularly update content on the AKF website to ensure information is current and communicates our latest messaging
• Edit and write news articles for the AKF website and intranet about the work of AKF, including ‘human interest stories’ to bring our impact to life
• Track relevant ‘World Days’ and key dates in the international development calendar and work with the AKF comms team to plan content around these
• Update and maintain key stakeholder and mailing lists (through Mailchimp)
• Curate news from AKF and AKF affiliate websites and post these on AKF’s intranet and support AKF staff to edit, lay out, and publish news stories on this platform
• Assist the Global Lead – Communications to develop and deliver high quality and professional events and outreach activities
• Co-ordinate with the Aga Khan Centre events team to ensure rooms are booked in a timely fashion and serviced appropriately
• Handle invitations and manage pre-event logistics, assist in the smooth running of events and troubleshoot on the day and manage post-event follow up
• Develop working relationships with the Aga Khan Centre, Aga Khan University and Institute of Ismaili Studies events teams to ensure knowledge and awareness of other Aga Khan Centre events and to ensure AKF events leverage these other institutions and vice versa.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES & INTERESTS
• Two to three years of experience working in a similar role
Skills & Experience
• Experience of developing high quality communications materials and knowledge of latest communication platforms, tools, trends and developments
• Advanced knowledge of social media
• Advanced knowledge of WordPress
• Intermediate-advanced PowerPoint skills
• Intermediate-advanced Adobe in-Design, Illustrator and Photoshop skills – desired
• Video editing skills – desired
• Knowledge of the international development sector – desired
• Highly organised with strong logistical skills and proven consistent attention to detail
• Experience of using online booking forms (e.g. Eventbrite), email marketing apps (e.g. Mailchimp)
Attributes & Interests
• Friendly and professional manner
• Ability to work flexibly in terms of working hours in order to support and accommodate events
• Respectful of diversity of other people’s cultures, values, autonomy, and faiths
• Emotional intelligence
• Likes getting things done to deadlines and to a high professional standard
• Your CV and a cover letter about why you are suited to the role
• At least three examples of your graphic design, writing and/or social media content.
Ideally a mix of all three.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK
For more information or to apply for this role, please visit the AKDN website.